Am I eligible for the Workfare Income Supplement (WIS) scheme?
You will be eligible for the Workfare Income Supplement (WIS) scheme if you:
i. are a Singapore Citizen;
ii. are at least 30 years old or older on 31 December of the Work Year (WY) or persons with disabilities of any age. To qualify for WIS for work done prior to 2023, you are at least 35 years old as of 31 December of the WY;
iii. work in 2023:
- and earn a gross monthly income1 of at least $5002, but not more than $2,500 for the month worked and in the past 12 months3 (average gross monthly income) as an employee; or have an average monthly income of at least $500, but not more than $2,500 as a Self-Employed Person (SEP); and/or
iv. work prior to 2023:
- and earn a gross monthly income1 of not more than $2,300 for the month worked and in the past 12 months3 (average gross monthly income) as an employee; or have an average monthly income of not more than $2,300 as a Self-Employed Person (SEP);
If you are an SEP, you are also required to declare your Net Trade Income (NTI) and make your MediSave contributions to be eligible for WIS.
However, you will not be eligible for WIS if you:
- live in a property with an annual value4 of more than $13,000 assessed as at 31 December of the previous year;
- own two or more properties; or
- if you are married,
- you and your spouse together own two or more properties; or
- the assessable income of your spouse exceeds $70,000 for the previous Year of Assessment.
Please refer to this link to find out your WIS eligibility status.
1Includes basic salary and extra wages such as overtime pay, commissions and bonuses
2Persons with disabilities, workers who qualify for ComCare Short-to-Medium-Term Assistance and caregivers of care recipients (generally include caregivers residing with care recipients who are medically certified to have permanent moderate to severe disabilities) will qualify for concessionary WIS, even if they earn less than $500. Eligible caregivers will receive concessionary WIS from Q4 2023 for Work Year 2023 onwards.
3Defined as income earned in the past 12-month period ÷ Total number of months worked in the past 12-month period
4Annual value is the estimated gross annual rent of the property if it were to be rented out, excluding furniture, furnishings and maintenance fees. It is determined based on estimated market rentals of similar or comparable properties